Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Peaches & Cream

Not long after figuring out some of the basic bead weaving stitches, I started netting and weaving around cabochons. The idea that you can take a lonely stone and suspend it securely within woven beads, without backing, still tickles me.
I had yet to try this technique out with round crystals, until this past weekend. It took a couple tries to get the number of beads just right, but the end result was very satisfying. I'm looking forward to wrapping more of these crystals, perhaps for a lovely set of earrings next time.
The crystal is a 12mm peach swarovski rivoli, captured in size 11 delica beads. I used a spiral weave for the necklace itself, which measures 18" from end to end.




The clasp is a very important part of a design...it can make an otherwise beautiful creation cheap and flimsy. Very seldom do I know at the start of something what I will be using for a clasp. Several pieces sit in my "to finish" pile for this very reason...they are waiting for the perfect clasp. One of my favorite ways to finish a necklace (and bracelets too, sometimes) is with a beaded clasp. It takes no extra components, and flows seamlessly into the design.



10 comments:

storybeader said...

that clasp is adorable! And I love your bail!`

Melissa said...

I love this color combo. It is a nice size, not too big, and not too small. My 3rd wedding anniversary is next month, the stones are jade, and pearl. I usually make myself a piece, but do not do beading. I would love to discuss with you a piece maybe you can make, similar to this.

Carmen Rose said...

Beautiful!

Theresa said...

Lovely colors and work! You will now be obsessed with wrapping rivolis and anything else. I know and I have about 5 rivolis waiting for me.

MO said...

That is so pretty!!!

Miriam

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about beading, but love this necklace. The color is one I wear often.

I'm not up to speed on the shop thing you're referring to, can you pop over and give me the quick story? I'm not on Esty, but am sorta familiar is it similar?

Love learning about new things here on the net.

Have a fabulous day, welcome mats always out; so please swing in for a visit.

Sandy

Unknown said...

It's very pretty, love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful wish I could be so talented :)

Ms Recipe

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, a beautiful work ! I love this colors, they are so warm!
Just beautiful- have a great week,
Sabine

Jo Hoffacker said...

That is too cute, and it goes great with the shirt!