Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's happened!

I've officially had a design ripped off, beaded poorly, with prices undercut.
Highest form of flattery?
Still sucks.
I've asked them to take the offending items out of their shop and informed them that they need to actually ASK permission before taking someone elses design and making a profit with it. Lets see if they at least credit the designer. Right now they are claiming that each one of their designs is "unique and original".
Yeah. Ok.
Unfortunately I relisted my item recently, so at first glance it looks like I copied them. However I'm fairly sure etsy has records of when I first put the item on there, early this year. If it really comes down to it, I've had my design loaded on various networking/beady sites for quite some time now.
I had a feeling I would have to deal with this one day...all the beaders talk about it. I feel sick to my stomach about it.
edited to add: Ok the beadwork they did actually isn't bad...and on closer inspection they changed a couple beads but..still


14 comments:

Unknown said...

i feel for you! it's really not a nice thing to have happen to you, and no it's not flattery, it's unethical and illegal

Swapna said...

aw.. I hope are decent enough to do repairs..Good luck!!

Beaderjojo said...

You're right Triz.
Although it's a tough one. Other than speaking to the person to let them know that YOU know they stole your designs, and request they remove them, I'm not sure what to do.
It stinks that people are so disrepectful.

Kerrie Slade said...

Yep been there, had that done to me too JoJo and it made me feel sick too :0( Hugs to you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I'm sorry to hear that. I think it's a risk we all take when we share our product photos and sell our items. It's a real shame too.

Deb DiSalvo said...

That does suck - sorry you have to go through this! Hope your day gets better.
Cheers!

Campbell Jane said...

That does suck and I know how you feel. Someone copied one of my paintings, added only a word to it then had the nerve to put their copyright on it.

Campbell Jane said...

Love your blog! I gave you an award. Please go to my blog to pick it up!
Blessings
Janet

TiLT said...

Ok - I'd say that was an obvious copy...best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but I think that image - Kopokei? (sorry about the spelling) does not fall under copyright since it is so ingrained in the culture - you see those everywhere. I used to sell jewelry by a sterling maker that used that same image, my landlord downstairs owns a Native American shop with plenty of images exactly like that too. Also, by definition, anytime you change even one thing to an image it is considered to be a "new work" I know it sucks but that's how people get away with collages and the like using other's works. If it means anything at all - yours is far better. The central image of the piece isn't lost by an array of dizzying colors.

GumbyTheCat said...

Ya got robbed, no doubt. Youse wants I breaka der kneecaps? lol.

Seriously, though, that does suck. I'm a computer programmer who has had code ripped off before so I know how it feels when someone takes something you worked hard on and passes it off as their own.

Chrisbeads said...

I like yours better. I agree with Emily about the colours getting in the way.

Hot Rocks said...

Ugh! That is such a bummer! Well if it helps you feel better...yours is WAY better...much nicer color contrast than the copycat one.Keep your chin up and keep smilin, you have alot of fans!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I don't understand why people have to be so rude in today's society, it is beyond me. Their too damn lazy to work for themselves so that have to steal from others is the only thing I have come up with. It happens in my own town everyday unfortunately. I really am sorry that this happened and I hope you get it worked out soon.